I have to do a quick Byte of something I just found this week. I’m a fan of Google Insights for Search http://www.google.com/insights/search/.
You plug in a term and they will show you the search historical traffic for that term going back as far as 2004. This has been available for a while, but just this week I’ve started noticing that they are adding a forecast to the chart. Google Insights for Search does work for every term. The term must be popular enough to track. And I haven’t found forecasts with all terms. Some terms seem more fluky than others (such as Treacy if you want a quick example) and the less fluky terms seem to include forecasts.
A quick rundown on what you do with Google Insights:
- Track terms
- Filter by location
- Filter by time range
- Filter by Google search (web, images, news, product)
- Filter by category
And a quick rundown on what you can learn:
- Popularity of term over time
- Popularity by location
- Top related searches
- Rising related searches (so what are the up and coming keyword stars)
- News items that have had an impact on the popularity of terms (if applicable)
- Forecast of traffic for next couple of months
I know it’s kind of geeky this week – but hopefully interesting!