Google has a newish deal that makes it easier to connect content you create with your Google+ Profile. If you have a corporate, or other more static, website this might not be a big deal for you. If you maintain a blog, contribute to an online publication or otherwise publish content on a regular basis, this may be of interest. The greatest advantage, I think, is that then when your content shows up in a Google search, it will include your profile picture and searchers are attracted to posts with images.
You can learn more here: https://plus.google.com/authorship
The outline the steps to get it going, I’ve added the first:
- Set up a Google+ account: https://plus.google.com
- Make sure you have a profile photo with a recognizable headshot.
- Make sure a byline containing your name appears on each page of your content (for example, “By Steven Levy”).
- Make sure your byline name matches the name on your Google+ profile.
- Verify you have an email address(such as firstname.lastname@example.org) on the same domain as your content. (There is an alternative method if this isn’t the case: http://tinyurl.com/7ngmgjj)
Google has been pushing Google+. I still see that online marketers seem to have the greatest presence on Google+, but I also don’t see it going away.